• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log In with Google Log In with Steam      Sign In   
  • Create Account
Photo

Linux Version Eta?

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#61 Tallahassee

Tallahassee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 10:46 AM

Just saw this on Nuclear Dawn news page on Steam

From Viper:

Good news for all you Linux fans out there, we have started to work on Nuclear Dawn version 7.0 which apart from some bug fixes will also include support for Linux! Stay tuned for more news later this month!

Awesome!

Since you guys are gonna release a new version, can I ask for 2 things? :D

1. Can we get back some of the original music files that were located in: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\nuclear dawn\nucleardawn\sound\music

It would be nice to have them back as included game files (in the Steam download).

I can't remember the exact file names, but I know there was one epic soundtrack file which heavily resembles the one used in the 1st trailer

EDIT: Found something called Nuclear_Dawn_Theme.mp3 and Nuclear_Dawn_Theme_2.mp3 in my archives. The 2nd theme is the one in the video. If the files were causing sort of copyright infrigement (since Alex Pfeffer is the maker), that would be a possible explanation why they were removed

2. Can we get the models for the energy wall in the SDK? In case the posterity find a use for it?

(pictures in attachment)

I don't wanna unearth things too much, but how is the mountainbase map coming along? (No need to answer though, I'll understand )

Attached Files

#62 Nicholas

Nicholas

Psychonic

• Staff
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 04:17 PM

1. Can we get back some of the original music files that were located in: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\nuclear dawn\nucleardawn\sound\music

EDIT: Found something called Nuclear_Dawn_Theme.mp3 and Nuclear_Dawn_Theme_2.mp3 in my archives. The 2nd theme is the one in the video. If the files were causing sort of copyright infrigement (since Alex Pfeffer is the maker), that would be a possible explanation why they were removed

They were just removed because they were unused in the actual game. I don't think that there is any issue with us distributing, but I think it may be more appropriate for us to just post them as download on the ND website or something, rather than just as loose files with the game.

2. Can we get the models for the energy wall in the SDK? In case the posterity find a use for it?

Unfortunately, those screenshots are misleading and are a best-case when the particle effects were behaving correctly. There are placement and orientation issues with them to the point that I don't feel that it would be useful to include them even for mappers. I also don't imagine that the model itself, without the actual particle wall, would be of much use.

#63 Tallahassee

Tallahassee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 10:17 PM

They were just removed because they were unused in the actual game. I don't think that there is any issue with us distributing, but I think it may be more appropriate for us to just post them as download on the ND website or something, rather than just as loose files with the game.

Actually I wanted them included in the distributed files so I could play them to the whole server using a sourcemod command.

I like it when people realize Nuclear Dawn can be alot more than they think ;)

Before doing it, I cast a vote before just to be sure no one will be annoyed by the epic music. Usually, replies are positive.

Else, I guess they can just be included as server side download files.

#64 Nicholas

Nicholas

Psychonic

• Staff
  • 5 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 01:17 AM

Actually I wanted them included in the distributed files so I could play them to the whole server using a sourcemod command.

I like it when people realize Nuclear Dawn can be alot more than they think ;)

Before doing it, I cast a vote before just to be sure no one will be annoyed by the epic music. Usually, replies are positive.

Else, I guess they can just be included as server side download files.

Playing mp3 files isn't supported in the game. They would have to be converted to (large) wav files.

#65 Tallahassee

Tallahassee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 05:40 AM

Playing mp3 files isn't supported in the game. They would have to be converted to (large) wav files.

They were played using sm_play, a sourcemod command.

I wasn't very sure if they were .wav or .mp3 but

I very well remember playing Nuclear_Dawn_Theme_2 (or Nuclear Dawn Main Theme, Old) to the whole server.

After doing some tests, it seems sm_play doesn't work with any files which are not in the sound cache I think.

I did add my own converted .wav files in the music folder, but the command won't play any of them.

EDIT:

Spoiler

But its all ok, I was mainly wondering why they were removed. No need to really add them back, they still can be converted to .wav and added as a server download, although some players turn it off.

Thanks alot for answering Psychonic :)

#66 Alexander

Alexander

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 08:20 PM

Great news!!! :D

I hope this will bring in new recruits - servers need more fresh flesh ^_^

In all honesty I think a release on a new platform, and a promising one such as Linux (with all Steam is doing and going to do with it) is the only thing that could make it for now.

No surprise the efforts of the team are focused on this. Thank you for still keep it up with ND! :)

#67 David

David

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 06:14 PM

Is there an ETA as to when this will be released?

#68 Alexander

Alexander

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 04:49 PM

When it's readyTM ? ;)

#69 Nicholas

Nicholas

Psychonic

• Staff
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 06:30 PM

It's mostly working. We're just still working out some kinks across all platforms and still have some other bugs to tend to as well.

kNj5RCV.jpg

cMgHDpX.jpg

Z4zzEYq.jpg

lzCF1ka.jpg

#70 Spazzo

Spazzo

IW Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 777 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 08:28 AM

Great to see it is coming together.

Hopefully can get it sorted out for release shortly, if we're lucky it'll be a nice boost to the existing playerbase.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users